FIN10708 Session 2 2014 Assignment
You will beallocated two ASX listed companiesto study for this assignment. You canlook up your allocated companies under‘Assignment Companies’ in MyGrades in weeks
Imagine you work for the FIRST of these companies. The second is one of your company’s competitors.
This assignment consists of two tasks.
Task 1: Working Capital Management (10 marks)
Your boss has asked you to assessthe company’s working capital management relative to that of its competitor and provide recommendations for improvement.
You focus your analysis on the companies’ 2012/13cash cycles and compare the overall cash conversion cycleand each of the areas that make it up to identify your company’s strengths and weaknesses.
In providing recommendations for improvement, you should outlinepossible actions and note any potential benefits and costs.
In making your assessment and recommendations, consider potential differences between your company and its competitor that could explain divergentresults. Where relevant, these should be noted.(For example, although the companies may compete in someof thesame markets, they may also have different areas of business.)
To undertake this task you will need to get some background information on the companiesand collect some data. In particular, for each company, collect the three component ratios necessary to calculate the cash conversion cycle for the 2012/13 financial year. These ratios are available (already calculated) from DatAnalysisfound by following the links from the SCU homepage to the ‘Library’ and ‘Databases’.
Since your boss is a busy person and has little time to read lengthy reports, your submission for this task shouldnot exceed two A4 pages.Structure your submission as a very short report that excludes title and contents pages. Ensure you fully reference all sources of data and information you use in your assignment.
Marks for this task will be awarded in equal weighting for:
· accuracy of data sourced and calculations performed;
· effectiveness of communication, including structure, grammar and referencing;
· understanding of the issues involved in effective working capital managementof a company;
· ability to validly apply knowledge of the cash cycle and working capital management to a real example; and
· assessment and recommendations based on logic and evidence.
Task 2: Risk and Return (15 marks)
Your Aunty May (Mei) has some savings which she wants to invest in shares. She has asked for your advice because she knows you are doing a finance unit in your university degree. Aunty thinks you are brilliant and so wants to invest all her savings in shares of the company for which you work (that is, the one assigned to your for this assignment).
Your Aunty is risk averse and from your study you know that investing in only one asset is risky. You decide you need to explain this to Aunty. You approach this task as follows:
1. Calculate the monthly returns for your (assigned) company’s shares for the 12 months ending 30th June 2014. You should calculate the capital gain/loss yield only; that is, ignore dividends. Get the necessary share price data fromDatAnalysis.(2 marks)
2. Calculate the monthly returns on the S&P/ASX 200 index during the same period. Get the necessaryshare price index data from statistical table F7 available for download from the RBA website. (1 mark)
3. Calculate the average monthly return and standard deviation for the period for both your company and the market index. (2 marks)
4. Explain the concept of diversification to Aunty. In doing so, you should also explain and refer to relevant figures from parts 1 to 3to illustrate. (3 marks)
5. Identify and discuss two systematic and two unsystematic risk factors impacting on your company. Your discussion should be aimed at explaining systematic risk and unsystematic risk to your Aunty using example risk factors relevant to your company.One of the four risk factors should be drawn from news released about your company. (4 marks)
6. Source a current beta coefficient for your company from DatAnalysis. Explain to your Aunty what it means and give an example, assuming the expected market return is forecast to fall by 5% in the coming year. (2 marks)
Your submission for this task shouldnot exceed three A4 pages.Provide an answer to each part in the order above. Ensure you fully reference all sources of data and information you use in your assignment.
Marks for this task will be awarded for each part as provided above. In addition to the marks for parts 1 to 6, 1 mark will be allocated for effective communication and referencing.
Marks for parts 1 and 2 will be awarded for correct dataand numerical analysis. Marks for part 3 will be awarded for correct numerical analysis. Marks for part 4 and 5 will be awarded for a student’s ability to correctly and clearly explain the concepts in their own words and to illustrate them by application to real world figures/examples. Marks for part 6 will be awarded for a student’s ability to correctly and clearly explain the concept in their own words and to apply it to an example.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more